market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] premature flowering

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Brabo <mdbrabo AT att.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] premature flowering
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 08:40:24 -0500

Karen,

All of our brassicas, mustards, arugula and now lettuce have bolted. Was planning for a mid-late May harvest.
Last Monday we had record temperature of 90ยบ about an hour north of St Louis.
Honey bees have been quite active and aggressive. Our asparagus was up 6-7 weeks early.

From what I can tell the "stress" has been due to the abnormally warm Winter, little precipitation and record high Spring temperatures.

These stresses have led us to "reboot" our planting schedule.

Regards,
Mike
Vesterbrook Farm - Certified Naturally Grown
Clarksville, Missouri - Mississippi River Bluffs, Zone 6a