market-farming - [Market-farming] Weed and Till cultivators

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marlin Burkholder <burkholders AT glenecofarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Weed and Till cultivators
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 22:20:01 -0500

Title: Weed and Till cultivators
I’ve been doing some thinking recently of a hand pushed cultivator called “Weed and Till” offered by some garden supply places.  It consists of a rolling cylinder with sharp steel cleats designed to roll down and cut up weeds and clods followed by a five shovel cultivator, and looks to be about 18 inches wide.  I would use it to clean up and prep seedbeds inside high tunnels.  It looks like it would be a bear to push by hand.  I am a pretty big guy and should be able to handle it if anybody could.  However I find the pictures of them to be a little intimidating.  Has anyone used these things?  Are they worth considering?  JSS has their “Tilthier” which looks pretty clever but I bet it would go through a rechargeable power tool battery pretty fast and it looks a little pricey.

Marlin Burkholder
Virginia