market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] On damp off:

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] On damp off:
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 08:49:40 -0500

I strongly suspect that damping off is also suppressed by the use of a live compost-based potting soil that's full of beneficial organisms.

I've been starting transplants organically for twenty five years now, using such potting soils, and not sterilizing anything. I've never had the problem.

That of course isn't a guarantee that nobody ever will, using this technique. The world is lacking in guarantees. But starting in sterile potting mixes seems to me to be starting off with a vacuum that something is going to come in to fill.