market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] misting carrot seeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Halstead, Kate" <khalstead AT wsu.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] misting carrot seeds
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 20:47:11 +0000

We have such silt/clay soil in our valley, that I no longer even try to bury
the seed in any way, it crusts badly no matter how often you spray things and
germination is erratic at best. My solution has been to broadcast the seed on
top of a raised bed (mixed with dry sand, it spreads pretty evenly with
practice), cover the entire bed with a 1/4-inch or so layer of my sterile
potting mix, then cover with reemay & spray 1-2 times daily as suggested
earlier. The key does seem to be the frequency of water so nothing really
dries out.

Have also done the same method using small furrows a few inches apart,
seeding, and backfilling with potting mix. Works if you can keep the depth
consistent, easy to make it too deep.

I could see the black weed fabric being tricky if you have to be elsewhere on
the day the sun comes out and seeds start to pop.

Kate Halstead
Agriculture Workshops
WSU Snohomish County Extension
600 128th St SE
Everett, WA 98208-6353
C-360.794.6081
W-425.357.6024
khalstead AT wsu.edu
www.snohomish.wsu.edu
Extension programs and employment are available to all without
discrimination. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local
Extension office or to the WSU Center for Human Rights.
In the long view, no nation is healthier than its children, or more
prosperous than its farmers. --Harry Truman