market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Squash Bugs, was Snow Peas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Deb Taft <deb AT mobiusfields.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Squash Bugs, was Snow Peas
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 12:18:51 -0500

Pam, thanks for the link; it's helpful.  I'm already prepared with Surround, as was suggested by the study cited there and will go ahead and sell off major assets to lay in a supply of Pyganic, as it appears the combo works best.

Last year was the first time I saw (or noticed...) them here in Westchester County, NY (spitting distance from northern NJ, the second state they apparently moved into.), but my boyfriend used to live in the DC area and we saw huge numbers of them there in the summer of 2009.  I think we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg here.  While there were what I would call A LOT of them at my place last season, my colleagues in the area didn't seem too overwhelmed by them.  From the research I've been looking at, we are at the start of the infestation in NY (and OH) and can expect things to get a lot worse.  Now is the time to figure out how to deal with them!

There's an interesting series of maps of their distribution here:  http://www.northeastipm.org/neipm/assets/File/BMSB%20Resources/ESA%20Eastern%20Branch%202011/03-Biology-and-Current-Spread-of-the-Brown-Marmorated-Stink-Bug-in-North-America.pdf

Best,
Deb
Mobius Fields
Sleepy Hollow / Waccabuc NY