market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Forage radishes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Forage radishes
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 00:19:01 -0500

Our experience in soft loam soil is that they have a good amount of above ground root exposure.  The Tillage Radishes we planted were a bit different than daikon.  Root formation was a bit different and more resembled a cross between a giant icicle and a daikon.  The tap root was LONG but the top root not so well formed as a daikon with a taper.  Vegetative growth was awesome though and provided an excellent green manure and smother wince wilted after first freeze.

An interesting thing to note.  At last year's OEFFA Conference were show a series of slides showing good result from direct no-till planting corn into the radish bed in the spring.  No subsoiling or cultivation prior.  Yields were in par with those on the control beds using side dressing and subsoil prior to planting.  Lots of variables there of course so I am not suggesting you do it, but something to think about and play around with.

I also use tillage radish for micro seeds and they seem to do well.  Several companies out there offer them pretty cheap, untreated (but not organic certified), by the 50# bag.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855