market-farming - [Market-farming] Spinach

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Harriet Allen <hattie_allen AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Spinach
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 15:27:19 -0700 (PDT)

I would plant spinach anytime until the ground freezes.  It'll germinate and grow whenever the temps are around 40 and it will germinate even at around 32 degrees.  Anytime is fine.  Covering it with row cover will provide more of an opportunity for it to grow some during the winter.  A great way to germinate first (passed to me from someone on the list) is to soak overnight in a jar with water, pour water off the next day, refrigerate and plant in a week.  But if you don't want to wait, plant it now.  I found just about 100 percent germination with this method whether I planted the seed after 3 days in the frig, 5 days or 7 or 8 days. After that it gets too much sprouting I think, but even just soaking it overnight will help.

I know I am in a warmer zone, but spinach is incredibly hardy.

Hattie Allen
Zone 7 Delaware

  • [Market-farming] Spinach, Harriet Allen, 10/22/2011