market-farming - [Market-farming] Overwintering Spinach in Northern U.S. climate

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: grizzdover AT gmail.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Overwintering Spinach in Northern U.S. climate
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 21:07:02 -0500

Hello All,

I have always wanted to plant spinach in the fall to get early spring harvests for our CSA.  Of course, like all great ideas, I just have never gotten around to it.  This season, with warmer than "normal" temps and me "having the time", I'm thinking of doing it.  For those that have done it before, do I need any leaf growth or can the seeds just kind of "hang out" over winter and germinate/leaf out when the ground temps are "right" in the spring? Which varieties have you all had success doing this with?  A "co-hort" here in Iowa I know uses 'Space' but feels like he needs to have some leafing going into winter to do it succesfully. Unfortunatley, the "time" I have to do this is now and fear I will not get any significant growth before winter makes itself known.

Thanks in advance,

Ben Saunders
Turtle Farm: Certifed Organic Fruits, Veggies and Herbs
Granger, Iowa
www.turtle-farm.com