market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Now......GMO sweet corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thamnophis <thamnophis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Now......GMO sweet corn
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:05:24 -0500

I recall a story about early efforts at "rural electrification". It
may be apocryphal, but apparently the story was going around that
there was a chance that the electricity could drain out of the outlets
and electrify the whole house.

To the best of my knowledge, that didn't happen.

Any new technology tends to worry us about unknown repercussions. I
think we owe it to ourselves to read what we can from both sides as
well as any objective summaries of the threats as well as the
potential.

It's easier to be critical of GMOs from our well fed perspective and
our historically inexpensive food supply.

>From the many areas of the world where food costs constitute 50% of a
family's income and malnutrition is robbing people of their health and
potential the perspective might be understandably different.

All I'm suggesting is that people try to take a balanced approach to
this subject.

Joe
Boone County, IA