market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] too many farmers markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HERBKDR AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] too many farmers markets
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 19:12:53 -0400 (EDT)

We were members of a market that was quite unique and doing very well.  We had a large Saturday market and two more during the week on Tuesday and Thursday with a totally different crowd.  Everyone seemed to be doing very well and then a produce auction house opened not so far away.  "Farmers" were driving and buying vs. growing.  They needed more days in order to sell "their" crops!  So what used to be a "unique"  market with plenty for everyone soon became a "Seven-Eleven" in four different locations and operating 5 days a week.  The yearly and daily dues went up and so did the gas prices.  So that meant that real farmers were losing money...I know we did.  We had to drive 3 days a week to make what we used to make in one Saturday!  We quit and now belong to a grower only market and I'll be darned if they haven't decided to open a satellite market.  We are seriously thinking farm stand at home!

address and password):