market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Purslane...for market?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm <karen AT rootsfarm.info>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Purslane...for market?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 18:45:01 -0400

We've successfully sold purslane here in Dominica -- but it only sells well when other greens are scarce.  It helps A LOT to have something written.  Here's what we say in our weekly email to customers:

Purslane/Portulaca:  $3.50/bunch (about 12 oz).   Stems, leaves & buds used fresh in salads or steamed, stir-fried, etc.  Slightly okra-like texture thickens soups.  High in Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, minerals & antioxidants.  Medicinal use for dysentery, constipation, inflammation of urinary system and as liver tonic.

Recently, we also started selling Sweet Potato young leaves.    Greens in very short supply here right now and the sweet potato leaves are selling out.  (By the way, they're really mild/good.  I sauted some black mustard seed til it popped, then added olive oil, garlic & onion for a few minutes, then the sweet potato.  Stir, cover, done in about 5 minutes.)

Sweet Potato Leaves:  8 oz/$2.50.  Say what?  Sweet potato leaves are delicious and nutritious and widely used in Africa and Asia.  Steam, saute, add to soups and stews or cook like any quick-cooking green.  According to FAO leaflet No. 13 - 1990, they are a good source of vitamins A, C, and B2 (riboflavin), and an excellent source of lutein.  According to research from the University of Arkansas, sweet potato leaves are high in disease-fighting antioxidants, containing 15 different compounds helpful for preventing heart disease, diabetes, infection and some types of cancer.

Best wishes to all,

Karen

Roots Farm Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs