market-farming - [Market-farming] wash area

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] wash area
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:20:29 -0400

I have been washing on a wire table in the driveway in front of our garage.  I would like to move the washing down to the field.  I have a 10 x 40 foot strip of geotextile fabric and a 10 x 20 carport.  I am hemming and hawing about whether to put the geotextile down in one long strip, or cut it in two and have a 20 x 20 foot area of sand on geotextile fabric.  Outside from the carport would be an old bathtub for cleaning/sanitizing Buckhorns and trays.  Inside would be washing/packing tables, tote storage, people, short term product storage (several hours or overnight for tomatoes, cucurbits, etc).

Longterm hope is to have the wash area inside a (future) hoophouse, so I expect the wash tables to be along one side, with catchment underneath moving washwater outside of the carport. I don’t have a roots washer but hope one is in my future.

If movement was from one end to the other, then having the long strip makes sense.  But it might be more efficient to drive up alongside to unload and load rather than walk things to/from the end.

Your thoughts are appreciated.  Thank you.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

http://rhomestead.com      http://www.facebook.com/rhomestead

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe