market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market Thrives (use to be Market killers - top 10 list-)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: thamnophis AT gmail.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market Thrives (use to be Market killers - top 10 list-)
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 14:24:17 -0700 (PDT)

On a more positive note, here is one event we had last week. It is the second year for it and the vendors, community and contestants all love it.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20463987&BRD=1160&PAG=461&dept_id=190958&rfi=6

For those who don't want to go to the story, it is a Grill-Off. It is based loosely on the Food Network Show "Chopped".  There are 4 mystery ingredients and all other produce and meat has to come from the market and is purchased that day.  Then the contestants prepare a meal in 45 minutes to serve the judges.

We get the community involved by using donated spices from a local Kitchen store and other pantry items from the local grocery store.  This year we had three local sponsors give us the $1,000 it took to put on the event.  A local bank, Communication Company and the Local Farm Bureau.

The whole contest was filmed by a local cable company and they will put it on their "On-Demand" services.

All in all, it was a great day. Sales were up for all vendors, $300 over the previous week for me.  Last year sales stayed higher for over a month.  We also had two front page stories in the newspaper and had a live remote from the local radio station.

Just wanted to share

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas