market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] market continuity

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] market continuity
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 19:20:47 -0400

There are strong year round markets in Saratoga Springs and in Troy, NY.
Paul and Sandy Arnold, Brian Denison, and Michael Kilpatrick go to the
Saratoga market. Seth Jacobs goes to the Troy market.

We started a fall market with good success last year and are looking at
going year round. I personally would like to take January off and then start
back up. The question we are grappling with is frequency. It seems that
weekly will be best for customer continuity, but from a farmer perspective
every other week would be better. I do winter greens so would like the
market. We might start with monthly in Jan, Feb, Mar, then more frequent in
spring. The crafters and bakers want it weekly year round, but they don't
run the market.

An alternative is using a monthly (or whatever) online order system with a
monthly pickup. There are a couple here that have done fairly well with
that, using locallygrown.net . One is monthly, and I sell a lot of produce
through that (though the mainstay is meats), and one was twice monthly (and
I really liked not having to harvest wash pack deliver every week). The
locallygrown.net system is really user friendly on both ends. I am trying
localdirt.com, but both my test customers and I don't like it as well.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com facebook/rhomestead

Wendell Berry