market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Daikon when to plant

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "stonecirclefarm tds.net" <stonecirclefarm AT tds.net>
  • To: gofish54 AT centurytel.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Daikon when to plant
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:18:50 -0500

Diakon varieties are often specific to the season (some are better planted in the spring versus summer versus fall) so it is best to make sure you get one recommended for fall harvest.  In my experience, they can be planted most any time of year (paying attention to variety selection), and in succession, for prolonged harvest.  They are a large radish but grow pretty fast...50-60 days to harvest.  They push up out of the ground so it will be obvious when they are large enough to harvest (generally as thick as your forearm).  In my (silt loam) soil (and depending on moisture conditions), they pull right up without digging although I do end up breaking a few.  I grip them by the part of the root that is sticking up out of the ground and pull *straight* up.  If you leave them in the ground too long they will get damaged by critters or split.  They store quite a long time in a walk-in cooler so it is best to just harvest them when they are ready even if you cannot sell them right away.  By the way, I am using my Jang push seeder to seed them and it is working great.  I also recommend using row cover to keep out the flea beetles.

-John