market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Potato (and other) late planting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potato (and other) late planting
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 23:09:20 -0400 (EDT)

I too think about that Perfect Farm concept and it too provides me with some comfort, if only to prove that we're not alone in our wishful thinking.

We're horribly behind here, possibly so behind that we can't realistically catch up in some categories.  And other undeveloped farm income streams wait in the wings, pining for the day when we'll have time to devote to them.  I'm definitely feeling right now like I'm working really hard on what might be fundamentally unachievable short-term goals, while more easily reached goals languish.  My farming partner and I were just exchanging emails that we should have a sit-down conversation about re-assessing our farm priorities and reallocating our efforts for the rest of this growing season.   And we don't even have tornadoes or 100-year floods threatening our existence.  My hat's off to the group for everyone hanging on and trying to figure out a better way to do things.  But here's a fun thought - later this week I'll be using AI for the very first time on our Tamworth gilts.  I'm nervous and excited.  That's one of the other farm income streams we've been wanting to do for a long time, and it's finally moving forward.  With some luck, we'll have a whole mess of wiggly little piglets in four months.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html