market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] BCS tiller question.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ben Wiener <dbwiener AT lycos.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] BCS tiller question.
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 21:06:41 +0000 (GMT)

I just traded for a BCS 710 tractor/tiller.  it is HEAVY!  I also have a 33
year old Troy built Horse model. it is much easier to handle and obviously
was built to last. I've literally been using it since I could reach the
handlebars. Most of that time it was tilling 1/2 an acre each Spring and Fall
and cultivating every couple weeks in between. It is on its second
transmission, third engine and fourth set of tines, but over 33 years that is
still pretty good.

the BCS is a more idustrial quality machine, but you pay for it in weight.
If you are on flat ground, not confined by space, and have sod on both ends
of the bed, go with the BCS and just make wide turns if you have to.  If you
have space, slope, or other restrictions then go with a lighter make of
reartine tiller.  Also think about how many $500 tillers you can buy over the
life of a $3000 dollar tiller, especially if they are easier to handle and
prevents you from straining or spraining something.

Ben Wiener
Ben's Berry Farm

  • Re: [Market-farming] BCS tiller question., Ben Wiener, 05/10/2011