market-farming - [Market-farming] Diverse group seeks to boost food production

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thamnophis <thamnophis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Diverse group seeks to boost food production
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 21:56:02 -0500

http://www.foodandagpolicy.org/

Diverse group seeks to boost food production

There’s a new effort underway to get agreement on the best ways to
increase food production in ways that are good for the environment,
health and rural economies.

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and seven other major
foundations today launched an initiative called AGree. The
initiative’s diverse group of leaders will include Gary Hirshberg, the
CEO of organic yogurt maker Stonyfield Farm; former Agriculture
Secretary Dan Glickman; and Jim Moseley, an Indiana farmer who served
as deputy agriculture secretary in President George W. Bush’s
administration.

“Our current food system is broken for farmers, consumers and the
environment,” said Hirshberg said. “We must move beyond the political
knee-jerk defense of traditional agriculture and face the need for
change armed with real-world, scientific facts and analysis that AGree
can provide.”

Glickman said that the AGree initiative “will elevate the agriculture
and food policy conversation. We will make it clear to leaders and
policymakers that, while difficult, solving food and agriculture
issues is of utmost importance and can help solve other pressing
problems including public health and the need for economic growth.”

The effort won support from the leaders of the House and Senate
agriculture committees. The House panel’s chair, Oklahoma Republican
Frank Lucas, said the initiative “will serve to promote opportunities
for our agricultural producers and rural economies.”