market-farming - [Market-farming] Oxen Workshop

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jon H <rhizomonkey AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Oxen Workshop
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 21:33:38 -0400

Workshop: An Introduction to Training and Driving Oxen

When: Saturday, May 14th , 10 AM to 5 PM
Where: Living Energy Farm, Louisa VA (see below for directions)

Registration Contact: Sara Tansey,
sara.m.tansey AT gmail.com , 843-694-8896
Cost: $50, includes lunch. Checks made payable to Living Energy Farm.

Internationally, no animal is used for draft as commonly as the ox. Sometimes referred to as the “poor man's horse,” oxen are cheaper and more easily obtained than horses, and much cheaper to feed. While not as fast as horses, they are stronger and have more endurance, and a more level disposition.

This workshop is intended as an introduction to oxen for those with little or no experience with cattle. We will begin by discussing the historical and modern significance of the ox as a working animal. We will cover the pros and cons of different breeds, and go over the basics of selecting calves, early halter and yoke training, feeding, housing and care. We will then learn the basic commands used to drive oxen and discuss techniques used to teach each of these commands. Participants will have a chance to practice these commands by driving one of our oxen teams. We will demonstrate both a mature team plowing a field, and a younger team pulling a cart.

This workshop will be taught by Luke Conner. Luke has worked with oxen since he was five years old, and has spent the past four years training, working, and showing his team, Calvin and Hobbes. Workshop assistants Jon and Debbie of Living Energy Farm have been training their team, Lojki and Fiddle, for the past eight months.

Directions to Living Energy Farm:

From West/ Charlottesville area:
Take I-64 East, toward Richmond. The next exit past Zion Crossroads is Rte. 208. Turn Left/ North on 208. Follow 208 for about 10 miles to the town of Louisa. When you come to a stoplight, turn Left. In one block, turn Right on Fredericksburg Ave. This road becomes Bibb Store Road. The (unmarked) address of the LEF property is 1050 Bibb Store Road. It will be on your Right. There is a white sign that says LEF on it.

From East/ Richmond area:
Take I-64 West, toward Charlottesville. The next exit past Shannon Hill is Rte. 208. Turn Right/ North on 208. Follow 208 for about 10 miles to the town of Louisa. When you come to a stoplight, turn Left. In one block, turn Right on Fredericksburg Ave. This road becomes Bibb Store Road. The (unmarked) address of the LEF property is 1050 Bibb Store Road. It will be on your Right. There is a white sign that says LEF on it.

  • [Market-farming] Oxen Workshop, Jon H, 04/25/2011