market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] how many plantings of arugula

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] how many plantings of arugula
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 20:08:14 -0400

We use it in two forms, as a 2 to 4" tall micro in our salad mix and year long cut and grow crop (so long as you shade and water).  You also have a couple varieties out there that do a pretty good job overwintering and coming back in the spring (though they are quick to bolt).

The 4" variety gets pulled the more mature bulk harvest (sold by itself is allowed to mature and usually consists of a narrow and broad leafed variety which seems to make the die hard enthusiasts and chefs very happy.

The micro gets planted every week to every 2 weeks depending on the demand.  The mature gets a single planting x4 beds.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855