market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Recycle categories for plastics

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Recycle categories for plastics
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:47:50 -0400

I think part of the issue with agricultural plastics is that they often have enough soil on them to require different handling than household plastics; but am not sure.

Around here, the regular recyclers won't take them; but if you have a recycler there who will, that's great. -- Also around here, at least, nobody will recycle household bags; maybe the reason the info isn't on the boxes is that the particular plastic isn't actually recyclable. In any case, while the mulch may look similar, it isn't necessarily the same plastic as household bags; I don't think all household bags are the same type of plastic as each other.

I was going to suggest contacting the manufacturers, but I see that you already tried that. Maybe if you contacted one of the agricultural recyclers that are taking the stuff they could tell you? maybe the place in Pennsylvania that would take it if baled knows what the category is?