market-farming - [Market-farming] Making Biochar in my New Char Chamber

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk AT allspecies.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Making Biochar in my New Char Chamber
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:11:57 -0500

A Fiery Movie: I just uploaded another video to youtube. It shows firing my biochar chamber in my wood stove turning wood chips into charcoal. If added to the soil the carbon in wood chips will be back in the atmosphere in 10 to 20 years. However the charcoal that i'm making will last for several thousand years in the soil and will help plants get nutrients too. Before i add the biochar to the soil i need to soak it in a fertilizer or compost tea solution so it won't grab minerals from the soil. Once charged with minerals the char will give nutrients instead of take them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdk62DBs4kU

See other videos arranged into a garden calendar guide at,
http://www.organotill.org

Marty Kraft