market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] odd request for the list

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thamnophis <thamnophis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] odd request for the list
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 22:12:07 -0600

Kathryn,

These guys are a variation of what is known in the trade as 'google
whores'. They make money by driving traffic to their web site. One of
their tactics is to get people to generate links to their web content,
which is why he requested your input - he was hoping to generate links
to his content, which boosts his content in the search algorithms.

You inadvertently played into his hands by posting a link to his content here.

There are many schemes these days that try to take advantage of google
search algorithms. Almost all are doomed to failure. Google employs
thousand of analysts who try to disassociate the scammers from actual
valuable web content, but there are always the folks who try in vain
to outsmart them.

Since Bing, Yahoo, etc now just ape google's results there is no
better alternative to Google. Its just not perfect.

Joe
Boone County, IA
5a