market-farming - [Market-farming] Gro Mor Wand Seeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Darren Young <darren AT thegardenspace.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Gro Mor Wand Seeder
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:05:33 -0600

I purchased a Gro Mor wand seeder at the beginning of this month. I bought the one that has the shop vac attachment and came with a 288pt want. I also purchased an additional 128pt wand at the same time which saved me like $10 on that wand. Total cost with 2 day shipping was around $383. The president, Tom, is who handled the order and he was a pleasure to deal with. I emailed him on a Sunday asking how to order and he emailed me back that day with a phone # to call. I wanted the unit that week to start using it, however he was heading to the New England Grows show that Tuesday. I asked to have it shipped second day and he got it out that Monday. Unfortunately, that was the Tuesday we were hit with 23" of snow and Chicago essentially shut down. I emailed him later that week, he gave me a tracking number and apologized for the delay, but with the weather that week I could understand. The unit arrived that Friday.

The instructions are quite clear on how to connect and use it and includes examples of which tip to use for various types of seeds.

So far it has been a good investment, the only problematic seeds I've had are pelleted Begonia, but in fact, they're a pain no matter what. I sowed 288 trays of pelleted Pansies at 6-8 trays per hour. This is compared to around 2-3 per hour by hand. I was previously paying someone to sow trays using their automated machine at $8.50 per tray. Labor cost is now around $2 per tray.

All in all it should pay for itself this season.

  • [Market-farming] Gro Mor Wand Seeder, Darren Young, 02/16/2011