market-farming - [Market-farming] cell phones for farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] cell phones for farming
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 12:23:49 -0500

I am spending way too much time looking into phones/plans for taking credit cards and hopefully making notes in the field, maybe with the new AgSquare.  So I'll share what I've found to hopefully save some of you time.  Appreciate those with more info chiming in.

Pagepluscellular.com   on the Verizon network

TalknText 1200           $29.95/mo 1200 min voice, 1200 texts, 50 MB data

                                                If go over 50 MB, costs 60 cents/MB

Standard Plan,  4 cents to 10 cents/minute, added data is $1.20/MB

Virgin Mobile – NO DATA COVERAGE HERE

Web access      $1.50/MB

Beyond Talk $25/mo , 300 voice minutes + unlimited text, email, data, web

Broadband2Go – unlimited internet at home or on the go, $40/month, on Sprint 3G network

TMobile

Data contract  $50/mo

Prepaid  $30/mo for 300 MB

            $10/week for 100 MB

Google Voice Input requires data connection

I want

MP3 player

WiFi – one farmers market has, and can use from home computer

Voice recognition/dictation into spreadsheets, word, notes, online apps

Integrate with OpenOffice, MSOffice, etc, Outlook or MSMail/calendar

Android or Apple

Screen good in bright daylight

Don’t use: streaming Facebook/social media, games, streaming video, streaming audio (can download podcasts and music instead), movie on demand, picture messaging, video messaging

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY
Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com
Become a Fan on Facebook

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe

  • [Market-farming] cell phones for farming, Beth Spaugh, 02/12/2011