market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seed Saver's Exchange

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seed Saver's Exchange
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 09:54:05 -0500

On Feb 4, 2011, at 10:44 PM, Mike Rock wrote:

Who owns them now? There was some shakeup last year but I don't remember the details.

Mike

To the best of my knowledge they still own themselves. There was a shakeup several years ago (not last year) that resulted in evicting one of the co-founders; the other co-founder, and most of the people who'd been on the board for years, are still there. I was never able to figure out exactly what happened; it sounded as if much of the problem was a personality dispute.

The person who was evicted also claimed that, in putting seed in the Svalbard depository, the strains were made vulnerable to accession by large seed companies; but those companies could access the strains easily anyway, as they'd only have to have an employee join the exchange as an individual and request samples. I don't see any way to block that which wouldn't shut down the exchange.