market-farming - [Market-farming] potato bags

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <marketfarmshoptalk AT gmail.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] potato bags
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 10:01:13 -0500

Hey everyone,

I’m sure out of the loop on a lot of things, but I just learned about these, easy-to-make fabric bags for microwave cooking of potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, and warming breads and tortillas.  I thought this would be a great thing for market farmers to add to their “product” line if there’s someone in the family who sews, or if you have enough time before this next season to knock some out (or trade with a customer who does sew).  There’s a lot of info about them if you google “microwave potato bags”.  I found this pattern from the company who makes the 100% cotton batting to make them with: http://www.warmcompany.com/WarmTaterPattern.pdf  (In fact everything used to make the bag needs to be 100% cotton, including the thread, which to some seems obvious, but to others not so much.)  You’ll have more success finding it locally from quilt stores, and of course it’s available from various online sources.

They make hands-down the best, fluffiest baked potatoes!  I always shunned micro-baked potatoes, but not anymore!

Liz

  • [Market-farming] potato bags, Liz Pike, 01/08/2011