market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] No-Till for Diversified Vegetable Production?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <goodfood AT dhfarm.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] No-Till for Diversified Vegetable Production?
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 12:32:54 -0700

I believe Patrice Gros calculated his per acre income based on the
number of square feet in actual production (not counting the paths).
The topography of Northwest Arkansas tends toward the rugged so a
10-acre farm may only have a few acres of reasonably workable soil. My
family is attempting to emulate his philosophy: preliminary results are
encouraging, though it is obvious we have weaknesses in our system.
As for labor, yes, it seems he relies heavily on 'educational labor'
which includes interns and folks attending workshops at his farm.
Mark DenHerder
West Fork, Arkansas

I was lost when he said in the video they are producing $100,000 per
acre, and then a few minutes later he said their 10 acre farm was
grossing 60,000. Meanwhile, the labour army in the back looked like
volunteers.

  • Re: [Market-farming] No-Till for Diversified Vegetable Production?, goodfood, 12/18/2010