market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] [SANET-MG] Fw: [Market Farming] Not-till for diversified

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chrys Ostrander <chrys AT thefutureisorganic.net>
  • To: Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group <SANET-MG AT LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>, Dieter Brand <brand.dieter AT GMAIL.COM>, Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] [SANET-MG] Fw: [Market Farming] Not-till for diversified
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 09:43:50 -0800

Dieter, Folks,

I'm enjoying this discussion of no-till for diversified crops.

Your question about what to do for your first tomato planting has me thinking about cover crops that would be planted the previous late summer/early fall that are winter-killed. These include oats and buckwheat and probably others. This way you have a nice, dead, thick mulch to stick your transplants into (being in the "mid-Atlantic", I'm assuming you have freezing winter temps).

Chrys

On 12/18/2010 9:25 AM, Dieter Brand wrote:
Take tomatoes.  I usually start in an unheated tunnel and plant around the
> equinox.  I plant a new crop every month or so (field conditions are pretty
> variable at my site) for four total plantings.  So rye and/or vetch flower
> mid-late May.  I can live with that for planting 3 (second outside), but
> what about my first outside planting,

Chrys Ostrander, Director of Farming Programs
People for Environmental Action and Community Health
"Local Food for All"

Manager,
p.e.a.c.h. Community Farm at Pine Meadow

10425 S. Andrus Rd.
Cheney, Wa 99004
509-448-3066
farms AT peachlocal.com