market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Reach in Cooler

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Reach in Cooler
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 23:54:56 -0500 (EST)

If you decide that a standard fridge is a good option, you may want to look into buying a fridge from an appliance recycler.  We live in a small town but we have an excellent appliance recycling place very near by.  I don't know how common they are but I'd think if we have one, there's a reasonable chance most folks have one within decent driving distance.  We bought our last fridge from them for an order magnitude less than what we would have paid for a new one of the same size.  I think we paid $60 for a 35cuft side-by-side with icemaker and cold drink dispenser on the freezer side, and a pass-through cubbyhole in the fridge side. I love it and we'll probably keep it repaired forever rather than getting a replacement down the road.

And here's an interesting factoid - that particular appliance recycler also does a lot of repairs on appliances.  They told us when we bought our fridge that they'd replaced the compressor already.  It was a relatively new fridge, and I guess I had a look of "huh?" on my face, because the guy went on to explain: "yea, we get a lot of these newer fridges in here because they 'wear out' so fast.  Usually within a few years of being purchased new.  Turns out all the major manufacturers are meeting their Energy Star goals not by increasing the insulation, but by deliberately under-sizing the compressor.  That lower consumption per cubic foot looks good on paper, but the darn things burn out really fast.  But we put a properly-sized unit in there for you, still high efficiency, but it won't be burning out on you anytime soon."  So, a word to the wise about how modern fridges are apparently meeting energy efficiency goals.  I was not pleased to hear that for our $60 fridge, but I'd really hate to see someone stuck with an undersized compressor for $400.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA

Marty:  I found a Fridgidaire brand that is a fridge only-- no freezer -- 16 CF for about $400, new.  Found it on line.

=