market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Easy soil fertility test

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Easy soil fertility test
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 12:54:10 +0000

And, we have found, that fertile soil that grows great crops, also grows
great weeds, and if we let them go to seed, which often happens in the
craziness of mid-season, we have an even better crop of them the following
year.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

After fighting weeds for decades, I've come to respect them as competitors
who are finely adapted to the situation they find themselves in. If the soil
is half-dead, they will still out-compete crops, but they'll have more
difficulty doing it. They aren't aliens, or mutants. They're just
exceptionally well adapted native plants.

Bill