market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Turnip and Greens prices and Carrot Prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: michelle rome <michelleann7 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Turnip and Greens prices and Carrot Prices
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 19:30:19 -0700 (PDT)

Carla Perkins wrote:
"People are complaining more and more about pricing,
the same people who used to just buy and not even ask prices
or bother to look at the signs."

I have been hauling and selling bushels of small pie pumpkins, acorn and
butternut squash, zucchini, some butterbeans the last couple of months. I
sold butterpeas and butterbeans 15 to 20 years ago for 1.25 a pound and folks
balked at that price but will pay that for several pounds short of a peck. If
they would buy the half bushel they would find it would sell for about a
dollar a pound. Most could not find the money for a peck and hard to sell a
half bushel of butterbeans these days. It takes me 1.5 hours to pick a half
bushel. I have seen folks go though change to buy one zucchini and one pie
pumpkin or two-more often than not. Then we have the talkers.

Folks don't have money. The ones that do have a bit of money are scared they
will loose it. Take a humble and compassionate approach. I always ask people
to try a couple of butternut or acorn squash. And I make deals for teachers
or those that buy in volume on the small pumpkins. I cover several flea
markets and farmers markets over a 200 mile stretch and money is very tight.

If you have a retail market that is doing okay you are blessed. But I find
the competition is tough at those markets these days. Perhaps the early or
late market approach will give you an edge to make it.

Happy Gardening or in some cases Happy Farming

Michelle Hromyak
Romy Farms
E&W SC