market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Dried beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Dried beans
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:54:59 -0400

Mike

Let the pods dry on the plant.  We have 2.5 acres of Black Turtle Beans that are in weeds.  For us the weeds are the problem not the moisture of the beans (which are dry already).  The weeds need to be drier to go through the combine.  I'm hoping to get at least 40 bushels still...that might be optimistic.   You want mother nature to do most of the work for you.  Right now the moisture content in our beans in 10 to 12% which is almost too low, but there is nothing we can do.  High moisture stalky weeds will clog a combine, especially our small F2 Gleaner.

Back to your question though beans handle cold temps well.  Ice and snow are an issue but you have lots of leeway till then.  Not knowing your location I'll say that I will not be harvesting our black beans till the second or third week in November.

Hope that helps.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio