market-farming - [Market-farming] Garden covering

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "rbuck" <rbuck AT pacifier.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Garden covering
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 10:32:32 -0700

Hi folks,

I live in an area that gets 60-100” of rain between early Oct and late June.  My soil is heavy clay loam.  I’d like to be able to get onto my garden with a tractor in late fall and early spring in order to work the soil but I’m concerned about compaction and other problems working wet clay.  I had thought to cover the ground with black polyethylene plastic to divert the water during the winter but I’m wondering if there are downsides to doing so.  Would this negatively impact the biota in the soil or cause salt build up?  Could there be a negative chemical interaction between the soil and plastic where contact is made?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Roy