market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] ccd research

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <clearviewfarm AT bluefrog.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] ccd research
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:26:05 -0700

RAH! RAH!

Kurt Forman
Clearview Farm
Palmyra, NY 14522

From: Samish Heirlooms Farm <info AT samishheirloomsfarm.com>
To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [Market-farming] ccd research
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:17:25 -0700

The fallout over the NYT article illustrates a problem endemic in scientific
research in general and specifically in agricultural research-----who pays
for the research and how much that affects the research results. Whether a
scientist receives money which affects their conclusions is really immaterial
because observers will always assume that is the case. The solution is for
the government to pay for the research instead of the stakeholders.

Our federal and state governments started abdicating the responsibility to
provide untainted research long before the budget crunches of recent years.
Now research is heavily funded by stakeholders and the stakeholders are not
all big multinational corporations. The environmental/organic community has
a stake as well. They will look askance at results that point away from
chemicals used as pesticides or fertilizers as a problem source. The
researchers themselves are stakeholders in some instances because if you have
been working for years on a particular hypothesis, it is hard to admit that
you have been spent your career going in the wrong direction.

What we need to do is increase government support of research, not jump to
conclusions based on incomplete information as the headline writer did and
recognize and take into account our own biases.

Bradley Smith
Samish Heirlooms Farm
Sedro Woolley, WA