market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Treating Garlic Seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nan Hildreth <NanHildreth AT riseup.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Treating Garlic Seed
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 11:03:50 -0500

Dip the base of each bulb in alcohol just before planting says Gourmet Garlic Gardens, a Texas seed supplier.

At 04:14 PM 10/6/2010, Ryan Wood-Beauchamp wrote:
We experienced minor disease issues with our garlic this year: occasional fusarium rot and another disease that we couldn't identify that caused premature yellowing and dieback of the leaves. We culled any obvious diseased garlic bulbs to avoid replanting them. For the rest of our seedstock, we're curious if there are any seed treatments to treat seedbore sclerota or other disease organisms that might infect next year's patch. I've read about a hot water treatment but I'd be concerned about killing the seed. I've heard about a chlorine treatment and hydrogen peroxide treatment through word of mouth, but can't find any information to corroborate it. Any ideas?

Ryan Wood-Beauchamp
Journey's End Farm
Sterling, PA