market-farming - [Market-farming] those pesky tomato stems

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] those pesky tomato stems
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 10:11:25 -0400

When I pick tomatoes, about half retain their stem. They look great, so I've
been leaving them on, but this summer noticed that, as my customers sort
through the pile at the stand, the stems are doing damage, poking the skins
of their neighbors. Is there any harm in removing the stems that don't come
off on their own during harvest?

By the way, I want to recommend Pink Beauty tomatoes. Productive, trouble
free, and a perfect slicing tomato.

Thanks, Richard
where it is October 3, still no frost, and still pushing out tomatoes. "Zone
5" is so last century.

--
Richard Robinson
www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/