market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] ladypeas pricing?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pamela Crowe <sustainableharvestsc AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] ladypeas pricing?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:58:20 -0400

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net> wrote:

Now I actually have some to harvest! I'm not sure if I'm going to get enough this year to take to market (they may just go to the one friend/customer I planted them for, who is very pleased to have them); but in case I do get lots, it occurs to me that I have no idea how to price them. They look like they would take forever to shell out any amount; I'd be selling them in the pods.

I don't know about pricing, but you might ask around about access to a pea sheller. I found that the University Extension Service owned one in the next county and have taken peas, lima beans, butter beans, etc. over and helped run them through. The cost is minimal and it pretty much ensures that you can sell these kinds of produce once grown. I sell the shelled beans/peas by the pound------$4.50-$5.50 per pound.

Pam
SC