market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Alternative CSA Models

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dalew Farms" <dalew AT phonenet.ca>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Alternative CSA Models
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 06:57:45 -0400

Sorry to chime in so late on this one, but I find it interesting and couldn't get the time to respond earlier.

We also do sort of a hybrid system for our CSA too.  We deliver our shares to a parking lot about an hour drive from home, so we felt a system where everything was put together by the customer at pickup time would be too slow and unmanageable for us in that setting.  In my opinion, farms that are able to have customers pick up at the farm have more flexibility on the system they choose.

What we do, is prepare the standard boxes for most ingredients.  It takes 2 people just under 2 hours for us to do this for 65 shares that we drop off at one location.  Then, we have other items that we call, "on the side".  We sort of ended up with this system by accident.  When we were CSA rookies, after about the 3rd week of cabbage being ready in a season, folks started saying to us; please, no more cabbage!  We had others saying they could use that much cabbage, so we started bringing cabbage every week, but putting it on the side instead of right in the box.  This seemed to keep everyone happy, so we now use the on the side system for lots of things.  We feel that this helps to fit the varying needs of sized families, and different tastes and dedication levels.  It addresses the "lack of choice" feeling that sometimes comes with a CSA subscription.

Other items that we typically do on the side include:  Pickling cukes - we always put slicing cukes right in the boxes, but put pickles on the side because we figure not everyone wants to make a tiny batch of pickles each week, this way they can choose to take a few more and make pickles this week, and take none next week.  We always endeavour to put 2 lettuces in each box, but if we have extra, we put more on the side.  Some folks like 3 lettuces, and some think 2 is too much.

We also find the on the side system usefull for those weeks when we end up just short of having enough of something to put it in every box.  If we only had 90 cauliflower for example, and we need 100, we can put it on the side, and those few who dont' want one won't mind at all, and each family that does want cauliflower is still happy and satisfied.  Or, if you aren't sure how much customers value a certain veggie in their boxes, put it on the side for a week, and see how many actually choose it!   We did that with bunching onions this year, and our customers confirmed for us they really do like those!

This on the side system also helps us in the heaviest harvest weeks in the summer when we would not have been able to fit everything in the boxes!  As folks add stuff to their bins at the dropoff they become overfull and end up piling extras on top of the lids.  We obviously couldn't pack into a trailer this way with lids, so it saves us from having to purchase extra share bins.

I hope this helps or gives some others new ideas!  It might not be pefect for everyone, but it allows us to do a 65 share dropoff in a parking lot in a 1 hour window.

Dave