market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Need Help with Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Need Help with Sales
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 16:20:05 -0500

Hi Mark,

You've gotten quite a bit of good advice from the list so far. We're also in
Texas, but in a far different market - we're just outside Dallas so marketing
our produce isn't an issue. I do have a suggestion or two, though. I looked
for your farm name on localharvest.org and didn't find it. Of course, not
knowing your town name may have obscured it. But if you are not listed yet on
localharvest.org, I suggest you do that. We get so many referrals from them
that we decided to donate money as well. Which, also bumps your listing up on
the search list.

You might consider offering to conduct a workshop or speak informally to
local groups either through your County Extension office or library. Offer
tours of your farm, perhaps. Workshops, tours & demonstrations are labor
intensive, but they can be effective marketing tools. Identifying your target
customer is key. Do you grow organically or naturally? That opens up a
specific subset of folks. Are home gardens fairly common in your area? If so,
locally grown may be a tough sell for you.

Kim
Barking Cat Farm
NE Texas