market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cucumber Beetles on Tomato Fruit?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ipa.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cucumber Beetles on Tomato Fruit?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:14:48 -0500

Dr. Ron Prokopy, the late entomologist from Massachusetts who pioneered organic and
IPM approaches in fruit production, cajoled growers to “project their consciousness”
into the minds of insects and fungal pathogens...... to understand the weak link in their
life cycles.... so new and better pest management practices can be effectively employed.

Spotted cuke beetles are polyphagous. They like Chinese, Mexican, Italian, and Chez
Panisse.... and they are curious, I think.

Monophagous striped cuke beetles are intent on cucurbits only, real scholars
of a good squash.

But not the spotted -- they are like college kids checking out the scene on a Friday night.

Sniffing around, licking and tasting.

But they can be enticed to preferentially feed on squash plants.

They are very sensitive to pheromonal attractants...... where you can focus
your control efforts.... and likewise trip up this curious wandering.

Steve Diver