market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Carrots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Carrots
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:28:36 -0700 (PDT)

I planted carrots last night. I am doing an experiment. I plant half with my earthway planter and planted the other half by sprinkling the seed on the ground with an old spice container with a lid with holes in it.  I experimented earlier this year with this same idea and I was happier with the sprinkled seed. It came up better.  I preferred the rows that the planter gave me.  Finally, I tamped the top of the soil with a rake, covered with row cover and watered.

Has anyone experimented with sprinkling the seed on the surface as opposed to using a planter?

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com