market-farming - [Market-farming] buckwheat undersow

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Gary Brever" <gjbrever AT midwestinfo.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] buckwheat undersow
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:01:50 -0500

Has

I have two plantings of buckwheat that I planted a month ago and then two
weeks ago. The first planting is about 3 feet tall and starting to flower.
The other is less than 4 inches. I'm considering mowing the first one
(hoping it will come back) then under-sowing a oats/vetch mix into both for
a fall cover. The buckwheat and oats are going to freeze off with the first
frost. However, I'm wondering if leaving that much growth will impede the
oats/vetch too much to get a decent establishment. Any thoughts? My other
choice is, of course disking down the buckwheat and then planting my fall
cover in now.