market-farming - [Market-farming] Drip tape exp

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: moon AT ceva.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Drip tape exp
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:10:39 -0500

In the love hate driptape wars, thicker is no better if mice/voles are onto it as a wellspring, they chew it all, esp if it's a mulchy or weedy. The thin mil will buckel up in the sun to where you need to stake the end down so every time you pump so there will be no kinks to block the flow. Aqua trax has a blue line down one side so you can quick inspect for twists that can also block it.
Filters are a must, silt is the real death of the stuff.No, the real death is a rototiller, no, lodging it 12" underground in your berry row, no, burning the forgoten piece in your asparagus patch will sure render it unredeamable.I have thin mil thats 6 years old I still use.I now only use 4" spacing between drips. they say it wol'nt go more then a 150' row, yet I have many 200-250' rows watered well w/ a 1hp honda pump! here in Va evaporation is great and I have lotsa water.
Nothing waters better, even in the heat of the day if you can keep play by it's rules.It was invented in the deserts of Isreal. there they lay it 5' uner the ground and plant olive trees on top.
Ann CentralVa zone 7