market-farming - [Market-farming] Wanted: OLD-style Earthway Seeders

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chrys Ostrander <chrys AT thefutureisorganic.net>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Wanted: OLD-style Earthway Seeders
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 22:39:25 -0700

Hi Folks,

I was interested in the recent discussion about Earthway Seeders. I have limited use for the Earthway push seeder that was being discussed since I grow everything on 4-foot wide beds that we don't ever step on. This makes it hard for me to use a seeder that is designed to work best when walking right behind it. I've tried operating the seeder while stretching over the beds to get at the inner rows. It just doesn't work for me.

But I was lucky enough to move into an old farmhouse in 1990 where I found an old-style Earthway seeder that is just a wheel with a handle attached. The wheel has a small seed hopper in the center. The lid to the hopper has adjustable slots for different sized seed. You make a furrow, run the wheel down the furrow to deposit the seed and then cover the seed. It's not a one-pass operation, but I do love this seeder. I've planted fine crops of salad mix, spinach, beets, carrots, peas etc. with it.

I'm wondering if anyone has one lying around they would like to part with. I have two (later found one at a junk store) but one has a broken hopper lid. I'd be happy if someone just had the hopper lid but I'd be ecstatic to find a working seeder or two as I'm now planting a larger area and I'm working with other folks who I wish could also be planting instead of just one person.

You can see pictures of my seeder (and me planting wheat with mine in 2001) on my Picasa photo site HERE.

Thanks,

Chrys
--
Chrys Ostrander, Director of Farming Programs
p.e.a.c.h. Community Farms and Gardens

People for Environmental Action and Community Health

p.e.a.c.h. Community Farm at Pine Meadow
10425 S. Andrus Rd.
Cheney, Wa 99004
509-448-3066
chrys AT thefutureisorganic.net