market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Northern California, avocado varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Northern California, avocado varieties
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:13:18 -0400

We grow at least 20 varieties (mostly unnamed -- or name not known to us) in Dominica, but I doubt if much of our experience growing avocados in the tropics will be relevant to CA avocado growing.   We basically just have to drop a "pear" seed in the ground and stand back.  It is amazing to me though how many much more delicious varieties there are than those available commercially in the U.S.  (at least in the part that requires shipping).  If your friend does farmers markets, he can grow incredible tasting (and looking) varieties that fail commercial shipping or outward appearance standards but which folks will die for if you can get them to taste them.  Long neck, red (when ripe) skin varieties are often incredible, although my absolute favorite is a small size, rough skinned green with an unfortunate proportion of pit to flesh, but oh that flesh is good!  I think one of the questions for your friend to help choose varieties is what is his expected market, will it require shipping and barely ripe picking or can he sell locally and pick 2-7 days from ripe (for best flavor), and how much room does he have for these lovely trees and how to best use the land between while the trees are still growing to full canopy width.

Best wishes,

Karen

Roots Farm
Organic Produce