market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Flame weeding beyond carrots?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Flame weeding beyond carrots?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:10:15 -0400

Hi Ryan,

I’ve heard of using flame weeding on potatoes post-emergent, too, but both corn and potatoes (and especially corn) are large-stemmed crops with lots of foliage well off the ground. My concern is that the carrot stems and leaves would be too delicate to withstand the heat required to kill the weeds (i.e. not enough of a size/strength differential between the crop and the weed). But maybe someone else here can prove us both wrong!

Rob Wallbridge

Songberry Organic Farm

24 Sixth Line, Bristol, QC J0X 1G0

email: rob AT songberry.ca

web: www.songberry.ca

facebook: become a fan of "Songberry Organic Farm"