market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Favas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Favas
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 21:53:00 -0400

Here in central Virginia, zone 7, we've sown favas at the beginning of February and harvested mid June in a single harvest. In England, where I'm from, the harvest continues for weeks, but it gets too hot here. This year we tried over-wintering some, sown early November and mulched over with hay and given some rowcover. It wasn't worth it. Many died. The survivors were not ready much earlier. Overwintering in the hoophouse did work well - sowed mid November, harvested at the beginning of June, I think (it's dark out, and I don't want to go out to check the logbook). If most of your hoophouse crops are nightshades in summer and brassicas in winter, favas are a good alternative in the rotation.

The variety most easily found in the US, Windsor, is not as cold hardy as Aquadulce and some others.

The allergy, favism, someone referred to earlier is found in some people of Mediterranean descent. I don't know if anyone from other ethnic groups is troubled by it.

Pam, Twin Oaks COmmunity, Louisa, VA

  • Re: [Market-farming] Favas, Pam Twin Oaks, 07/01/2010