market-farming - [Market-farming] Homemade compost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Homemade compost
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:17:46 EDT

Richard we did bale up 10 big  bales of corn stalks and added to our mix of hay this year and this fall we will grind them up when we grind up our hay, and yes this year I will have someone come and grind my big bales and put it in our silo that we have made of this years big round bales.  When he grind the hay we will mix in a few big bales of stalks along with bales of moldy alfalfa hay.  The hay say's clean of weed seeds because it is cut every 30 days and weeds don't have enough time to mature and set weed seed.  We make hay around here once a week somewhere on the farm.  This way we try to stay ahead, and this year isn't hard to find moldy hay, it rains every other day, so nothing really gets dry enough to keep very long.  Real good reason to grow your own compost.

Phil

  • [Market-farming] Homemade compost, SaladG, 06/25/2010