market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advice on how to deal with losing plastic orhigh tunnel

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advice on how to deal with losing plastic orhigh tunnel
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:01:16 -0400

For the sake of discussion ................

The meetings I attended told of "high tunnels" being a season extender, protecting from a few degrees of frost and accelerating the crop by raising daytime temperatures a few degrees. These structures were of the lightest frame; plastic pipe, re-bar, wood, tubing, with poly cover pulled over and held in place by minimal dirt, rocks, sandbags; not or minimally attached to the frame.

It was the plan of those folk, and their thinking was morrored by the folk from Haygrove, that these units were to have near zero in snow or wind load and that they come apart in winds with little or no damage to the parts. Users reported gathering up their covers and putting them back in place a few times each spring, before removing and storing them during the summer.

At this place, were I to have repeated destructive failures of structures I would have to consider that I was asking the wrong system to do the wrong job in the wrong environment.

MAsteveINE